Monday, September 13, 2010

Facebook outranks Google

I heard on the radio a couple days ago that Facebook had just conquered Google for "site with the most time spent on the internet". This came as a surprise to me only because it hadn't already taken this title. As a communication medium laden with games, pictures, and quick easy access to friends I saw yesterday and others I haven't seen in ages; It comes as no surprise that people are spending more time there than on a search engine which redirects us quickly to another site.


I am curious if this statistic includes Google Earth, Google Maps, GMail, Google Translate, and any other secondary service sites that they may have. Either way it is still no surprise. While Google is widely recognized as the king of all search engines I would have guessed that even a site like ebay would outrank them in time spent on the web. They are certainly no match for a force like Facebook where many people check back a couple times each hour to find out the latest gossip or what their friends are up to. This is a title I don't ever see Google reclaiming unless they launch their own social networking site; which could happen any time. They are already working on a music service to rival iTunes!

4 comments:

  1. This is no surprise to me. Although, I would say that I find myself on google many times a day- but definitely not as many times as facebook. I don't normally use Google Earch or Google maps but I know many people who use GMail and love it. It would not surprise me if google tried to make their own social media site. With facebook growing as fast as it is, it would be hard for them to even try and compare to facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this post very interesting, it doesn't surprise me that people spend more time on Facebook than Google. I am curious like you though if these statistics include gmail and the all popular YouTube. Also with so many people linking Google Applications to Facebook such as YouTube. I am also curious weather or not Google's own social network "Google Me" will take over Facebook. Especially with so many people using Google applications as their primary tools for research, email, and other tools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to add that Google Me is an attempt at a social networking site...and diehard Google Fans (like my husband) are into it, but I just can't see anything usurping Facebook in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's pretty impressive considering Google has all of those other web sites! I wonder why it took so long for them to give this title to Facebook. I would have thought that they would have gotten it before now.

    ReplyDelete