Sunday, November 21, 2010

The PATH less traveled

Normally when I post a blog I write about something that I have heard/read about throughout the previous week. For the first time this week I went online and Googled "Social Media" in an attempt to find something interesting to write about because honestly, I am all out. What I found was actually very interesting; to me anyway. I am not a big fan of social media. I use it sparingly and only then because I am nearly forced to by my friends and family. I can appreciate it for it's usefulness but normally what I am thinking when I look at people's facebook and twitter posts is: "who cares?" To me it has always been a pointless popularity contest with little to nothing real going on. It is just boring.

That is why Path, the new social media site available currently only as an iPhone app is interesting to me. Most people I know have several hundred facebook friends. How do they keep up with so many people and why WHY would they ever care about all these minuscule details of these people's lives?

Path limits its social network to 50 people and every post must include a photo. That seems much more interesting to me. If it's worth taking a picture of; I might be interested. I certainly will be more likely to take interest if you are someone I communicate with regularly. This smaller network will surely make me more likely to pay attention to posts as I will surely remember who the 50 people in my network are. Everyone else I am probably not that concerned with anyway!

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/11/the-path-to-social-network-tranquility-is-lined-by-50-friends/
https://www.path.com/home.html

1 comment:

  1. I have a Facebook but not a Twitter account. But I'm glad that I can say I'm not a Facebook junkie. I don't feel the need to spend all my time on Facebook. Path sounds very interesting. But I think people who use Facebook often wouldn't like Path due to the limit of 50 friends.

    ReplyDelete